At first I tried the gesso & stencil out on some patterned paper, but it didn’t give me the look I was going for. I think the design was just a little too big. So, I then tried it out on a block of heavy white cardstock…and it worked exactly how I wanted it!! Here is my card!
1. Make A2 card from cashmere cardstock.
2. Cut white cardstock slightly smaller, then round the corners.
3. Tape the stencil to the cardstock, then apply a thin layer of gesso to it.
4. Remove the stencil carefully, then let the gesso dry.
5. Once dry, add a couple sprays of gold mist to it & let that dry.
6. Diecut a doily from floral paper, cut in half & layer to the left side of the white block.
7. Cut a banner edge to paper & vellum blocks, then layer together to the doily.
8. Zig-zag stitch along the left side of the doily & sentiment banner.
9. Adhere the entire block to the card front.
10. Cut the smaller banner from paper, and adhere to the upper right corner of the card.
11. Add the arrow flair to the top of the large banner.
12. Spray the hexagon wood veneer with gold mist, then add to the card front to finish.
-Retro Sketches #104
-Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge - paste
-Moxie Fab World "Happy Hexagons" challenge
-Totally PaperCrafts #208 - Make it Shine
-Charisma Cardz #5 - Something Not for Crafting
So, I've been wanting to spread my wings lately, & start learning to use product that I previously would have deemed too messy. I have some of these amazing stencils, and I've seen other cardmakers using embossing paste with them. Well...my local craft stores didn't have embossing paste ,but they did have gesso...so I got that & tried it out. And it's FUN!! Now I want to pick up the shimmery gold embossing paste that I found at SSS....it's in my cart, & just waiting to have enough items to check out!!
Alright...so we went to Minneapolis at the beginning of the week to just get away from Fargo for a few days. Here is a little recap:
- On our first night there we had dinner with my lifelong best friend, Jeremy and his new wife, Erin. This night made my year. Seriously. Jer & I haven't seen each other since we were 20, and I've missed him SO much. His wife, Erin, is so sweet and I can't wait to get to know her better. A few hours definitely doesn't make up for how long we've been apart, but it was still so precious to me. I can't wait until they come & spend a weekend with us in Fargo!!
- We went to the Mall of America on Tuesday afternoon. It's huge. And a bit overwhelming. I could never actually shop there. There are too many stores, and I would get an anxiety induced version of ADD trying to shop there. But, it was fun to walk around, & we did get some things at Teavana, & a couple other small shops.
- We went and saw "Tristan & Yseult" at the Guthrie Theatre and it was great! So so funny in the first half, & then tragic in the second. They did an amazing job with it.
- We stopped at some outlet stores on our way home, & I got the cutest pair of Lucky cropped jeans for $11. Seriously....ELEVEN dollars. Normally priced around like, $100. Pretty great deal, if I do say so myself.